What does it say about us that a 17 year old transgender person like Leelah Alcorn would choose to jump in front of a truck rather than live her life?
Here is my list of Nine Things You Can Do if You’re Young and Trans. Maybe you have some of your own. Let’s pay this forward. I hope we can save some lives.
1. Read. Kate Bornstein is a good place to begin. Gender Outlaw. And the anti-suicide Hello Cruel World
2. Write. Keep a journal, tell your story. Write fantasy. Narrative helps you make sense of the chaos.
3. Talk. Find people you can trust. If someone wants to “convert” you, find someone else. We exist.
4. Play a long game.Worst thing is not having your ACTUAL LIFE NOW. But you can find your way in time.
5. Make noise. Play in a band. Scream. Don’t keep it inside. Express yourself any way you can.
6. If you can stand it, your homework. Education can be your get out of jail card.
7. Know you are not alone.There are tens of thousands of us & we’re a rising force. You have family.
8. Have faith if you want faith. Not every denomination is hostile. If you are Christian, know that UCC, Universalist/Unitarians, Quakers, and many others are open and affirming. Find your people.
9. If you are in crisis, call this number: a Trans suicide hotline. (877-565-8860)
These are my suggestions. What are yours?